Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Road We All Travel

I was reading Slopmaster's blog entry this morning and wrote him an email reply. As I was writing him, I got the idea for this entry. I went to church AGAIN with my parents yesterday and the sermon really made me think. The basic point of the sermon was that just because we come across hardship in our life, doesn't mean that we are on the wrong path. Here is an excerpt of the email I wrote Slop:

"My life is soooo not what I thought it would be at 30 years old. Through twists and turns, worthless guys, different places to live, different living conditions, physical pain, mental pain, drugs, alcohol....I'm a SHRED of what I thought I would be at this point in my life. But I think it's a good shred, at least a smarter, more mature shred...I think. You just have to trust that the path you're on is the right one, just with different stops than you had planned. You're still on the correct highway, you just may have been traveling under different conditions, whatever those may have been."

I think we all struggle with the fact that we have no control of the plan of our life. I don't mean that we are ultimately predestined to fail OR succeed. I think we have a say in that but it's how we get to those points that make the difference. I read somewhere that Donald Trump has filed for bankruptcy more than once. I'm sure when he was going through that he didn't even grasp where he would be in 10-20 years. But he pressed on I'm sure and now look where he is. But who's to say he will still be one of the richest men in the world in 10 more years?

I was watching the E! True Hollywood story about Colin Farrell last night before I went to sleep. He will be 30 this year and apparently after all of the shennangins of his life, he is building a house next to his brother in his hometown in Ireland and wants to move back where his family and friends are (sound familiar Slop?). I think there is a point in your life where you have to get back to your roots, find yourself (or whats left of yourself) pull it together and move on, a better person for it. But only you can decide when and where that point is and how you can pick up the pieces.

*While losing brain cells watching "Last Call with Carson Daly" the other night, he played part of a song called "Bus Ride" by Rocco DeLuca and the Burden. I downloaded it to my iTunes and it's amazing! Check it out! By the way, did anyone see my girl Imogen Heap on Jay Leno the other night? She was fantastic!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Really great post. I am absolutely feeling what you are saying. Colin Farell and I are the same age... interesting....

Scott