Saturday, April 15, 2006

Loss of Inhibition, Middle of the Night & Jerry Maguire

"...it was a mission statement...just a mission statement." Have you ever noticed that your mind seems clearer in the middle of the night? Have you ever been laying in bed, not able to sleep and thought of things you need to say to your boss and determined you were going to say them first thing the next morning? Or, you're tossing and turning and think, "I'm going to go up to that guy/girl tomorrow and ask them out." But then in the light of day you're like, "What was I thinking?" This kind of thing happens to me all the time. I have so many grand plans that I have determined to do thinking about them at 3AM in the morning but when I wake up, I have no motivation and no ambition. I think that is probably what separates me and some of you from the Fortune 500 moguls out there in the world. That takes the ambition you have at night and the most courage you can muster up in the daytime. There must be some sort of chemical reaction that your brain goes through in the middle of the night due to lack of sleep, restlessness and seratonin levels...maybe. All I know is that if I did all the things I thought about at night I would probably be way ahead of where I am today but who knows how many friends or jobs I would have lost.

*inspired by the movie "Jerry Maguire" that I happened to flip to tonight (but you all know I can't stand Tom Cruise, right Vera?)

2 comments:

Big Ben said...

That Jerry O'Connell character in that movie is quite a hottie.

So if you would do everything you thought of at 3 am I guess you would have professed your love for me by now.

Ian Davis said...

I watched a program called "Inspiration" by Dr. Wayne Dyer. An incredible guy...he went off topic and started speaking about this very thing. He was saying something like we all have a time in middle of the night were we wake up at that specific more often than not. He suggested since it is such a busy world that God does not have any of our attention and the only time he can truly get into our heads was the middle of the night...because we have clear minds and nothing is "distracting" us. So what he does is when he wakes up, he puts his feet on the floor, prays or whatever, and writes. That is when he writes the majority of his books. But he has to force himself out of bed. Strange but cool. I wake up at 3:17 a lot.
I hope you do not mind me writing comments. I find your blogs insightful and full of substance unlike most blogs I have read that are either ghetto as hell or just plain blah.