Thursday, March 09, 2006

Back to Being Friends

When I lived in Florida, all of my friends loved the Dave Matthews Band. I liked them too. I have quite a few of the cd's and used to listen to them all the time. But when I moved here to Colorado, everyone called DMB sellouts. Here in the mountains, we have what is called underground music. Many bands get their start in this area and we get to listen to them for the bargain price of a five dollar cover. Gov'ment Mule, Acoustic Semi, some really good Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead tribute bands and many others have got their start here.

Some other bands that are really popular are Phish, Widespread Panic, Leftover Salmon and The String Cheese Incident. When a festival will come through the valley or to a neighboring town like Telluride or Aspen, everybody skips work or takes a weekend trip and goes. Really cool atmosphere if you're into the whole mushroom and ecstacy trip. Me, not so much. I appreciate music for what it really is and don't need it chemically or herbally enhanced. Which brings me back to Dave Matthews. On Itunes, as you Mac users will know, there is a feature called Party Shuffle. What a great idea! But DMB ispired the title to this entry. "Say Goodbye" is probably one of my favorite songs from them and it just came on before I started writing tonight. I might just have to play it again.

*To my friend Bobby: Thanks for introducing me to Dave Matthews!!

No comments: